Weekend Recap: Sister’s Bridal Shower

Here it finally is, the show and tell of my sister’s bridal shower!

BROWN flower cups

I was inspired by this Pinterest idea but wanted to use sister’s new last name (Brown) instead! However, these darling mugs retail for something like $7 a pop and that just wasn’t going to work for me. Solution – plain white cups on clearance at Crate & Barrel and a package of puffy stickers from Hobby Lobby. Couldn’t be easier!

1379354_10102619312683307_7455731702111082200_n

Whisk Lights

Another pinterest idea! Using clear string (jewelry section at H-Lobby), I strung 6 whisks of varying sizes (kitchen gadget aisle at the grocery store) from my curtain rod.  Add tealights and its done!

7608_10102619323277077_388618176739113325_n

Guest Book Apron

Since it was a kitchen shower, I wanted a kitcheny guest book. I picked up a plain apron from Jo-Ann, hot glued some lace around the edges, and wrote her name in bubble letters. During the shower, the ladies signed their names and wrote words that they thought described her!

IMG_4440

During the shower, the ladies signed their names and wrote words that they thought described her!

IMG_4455

“From Miss to Mrs. Banner”

Have you seen those darling printable banners on Pinterest? I loved this idea to brighten up the dining room area. I used Shanty 2 Chic‘s blog to print off my letters, mounted them on cardstock, hot glued them to the same clear string and hung it over my window.

IMG_4453 IMG_4443

Food

And finally, just some snapshots of some of the food we served:

1000279_10102619312428817_7580545648083622630_n

10516810_10102619312074527_8056439747031628016_n

10435122_10102619312578517_4847372326338764552_n

10665145_10102619312643387_451176009432023765_n

10686599_10102619312493687_2291093011435493392_n

Weekend Preview: Bridal Shower

The past few weeks have been a flurry of craft supplies, kitchen gadgets, and research on non-annoying bridal shower games. My sister is getting married after Christmas and I have the great pleasure of hosting her bridal shower in my home this weekend.

 

Here’s some preview shots of what I’ve been up to:

 

IMG_4438 IMG_4440 IMG_4443

 

Check in at the end of the weekend to see how everything turned out!

Weekend Recap: The Blue Herringbone Pillows

When I got up yesterday morning, I was bound and determined to cross a particular irksome job off my to do list – deep cleaning the car.

But then I saw the rain and felt the cold and decided no, that would not be car-cleaning day after all.  It was actually a day for an inside project – new pillows for the living.

This is a pattern-free project. Whenever I can avoid using tiny, sharp metal skewers to afix tissue paper shapes to fabric and then cut on the dotted line, I surely do it.

Step 1: Start on Pinterest (When is this not Step 1??)

I did a simple search for “throw pillow DIY” and picked out some styles.

This one caught my eye first:

b96c7cb85508decb5a7469d2fc6e1f05

(I believe this one is from WorldMarket)

I love decorative buttons.

 

Step 2: Gather supplies.  Pillow forms at 50% off and clearance fabric? That’s an “oh yeah!” – plus very economically priced buttons at Hobby Lobby and we’re ready to roll.

IMG_4364

Step 3: Assemble pillows

My pillow forms were 16.5 inches across, square. I cut my fabric 1.5 inches larger to build in the seam allowance.

Pillow 1: The top piece was left three inches longer than the bottom piece. I fold it over in a 1.5 inch fold to mimic the fold over look, ironed it flat, and hand stitched on the buttons.

IMG_4382

Minor details – After ironing, I did throw in some basting stitching across the edge to keep everything in place and then added a narrow line of stitching on the fold only because I thought it looked more polished.

IMG_4383

To finish the pillow, I sewed the four sides, leaving an approximately 5 inch opening, added the pillow, and hand stitched the opening close.

 

Pillow 2: I wanted to keep this pillow more simple, since the first pillow featured the button details. But, I still wanted something special to set it off – a fabric cording gives just the right effect.

In addition to cutting the fabric covers, I cut 1.5 inch long strips of fabric from the excess. I located a simple cord amongst some assorted sewing supplies and wrapped the fabric around it and based the casing closed.

IMG_4384

Okay I admit, at this point, it got a little more complex than I had originally intended. Essentially, I stitched the homemade coding to one of the fabric covers, all the way around.

IMG_4385

Once this was done, I carefully stitched the two covers together, being careful to stitch right along the cording. Lastly, I added the pillow form and hand stitched it close.

Done!

IMG_4433