The Dreaded Desk

This was the weekend of TDD – The Dreaded Desk.

Friday night, I hauled the drawers and top shelf out to the backyard, turned on my audio book, and buckled down on the sanding. TDD had many an issue: chipped paint, scratches in the surface, and an uneven finish…all to be cured by a good sanding, hosing down, and light scrub with hot soapy water.

image image

I had originally thought of stripping the paint entirely and letting the natural wood have a chance to see daylight, but when I realized how many layers of paint were on this baby, I decided to abandon that folly.

TDD would be painted and antiqued, declared I.

 

Saturday morning I was out in the backyard again, before I had even had my morning coffee. I was itching to get the painting started.

Because this project was crying out for (1) easy and (2) quick fixes, I chose a two in one spray paint for the task, two bottles:

image

This stuff is magic in an aluminum can. Can’t say enough about it. The color was true, it covered everything, and only required on even coat.

image

Ta-da! Isn’t that color a breath of fresh air?

As much as I love it, it’s a bit…..bright…for my house.  The mister and I lean towards the neutrals and the darks I’m afraid (navy…rust…taupe…mauve..)

Enter the antiquing. While I was at Home Depot, nearly gagging at the paint prices, I found a quart of Behr Marquee black satin paint in the “oops” cart for a whopping $2 (less than the cost of a sample jar!!).

Bingo.

I started doing this process myself and quickly realized I couldn’t possible dab on the paint and wipe off the excess quickly enough. I had dried up glops and messy splotches of black mussing up my lovely blue.

This is a two person job.

As I hollered for my husband to come out to the yard and help me, I covered over the worst areas with another coat of Aqua.

After some practice, we had this mastered. I “dab dab dab”ed and he wiped the paint into the grain.

image

As the storm clouds rolled in, we moved the completed pieces into the garage.

Sunday afternoon, it was crunch time.

The hulking base of the desk was hauled into the yard, sanded, cleaned, spray painted, and antiqued in about 1.5 hours. I’d call that a success!

imageimage

I am thrilled with the result: colorful yet subtle and perfect for our house.

It wasn’t dry enough to assemble when we had to head home so you’ll have to wait for the photo of the complete transformation. I’m trying to talk Mr. H into turning it into our entertainment center…we shall see!!

Until then, you are loved,

Jillian

 

Advertisements

Weekend Preview: The Dreaded Desk

A year ago, I saw this side desk in a resale shop I frequent and snatched it up for about $12 with the glorious dream of stripping the existing paint and refinishing it with a fresh new color scheme and artsy texture.

image

 

So far it has gone no further than sit in my parents garage and the dream has faded. It makes my stomach turn every time I see it sitting there, a desk home to dust and cobwebs instead of stationary and writing implements.

Nevertheless, I am determined to finish this project once and for all this weekend!

Stayed tuned for my progress.

You are loved,
Jillian